Skip to main content

Father To Son Full Poem by Elizabeth Jennings With Summary

father to son full poem


Father To Son

I do not understand this child
Though we have lived together now
In the same house for years, I know
Nothing of him, so try to build 
Up a relationship from how
He was when small. Yet have I killed

The seed I spent or sown it where
The land is his and none of mine?
We speak like strangers, there's no sign 
Of understanding in the air.
This child is built to my design 
Yet what he loves I cannot share.

Silence surrounds us. I would have
Him prodigal, returning to
His father's house, the home he knew,
Rather than see him make and move
His world. I would forgive him too,
Shaping from sorrow a new love.

Father and son, we both must live
On the same globe and the same land
He speaks: I cannot understand
Myself, why anger grows from grief.
We each put out an empty hand,
Longing for something to forgive.


Summary:

The poem 'Father To Son' describes the relationship of a father with his son, which appears not so good in the poem. In the poem, the poet is disappointed as he does not understand his child. Though they both are living in the same house, the separation between them is not decreasing yet. Father and son, they both speak to each other like a stranger. There is no sound of understanding between them, there is always silence between them. The Son also feel sad for the increasing gap and lack of communication between them. The son says that he still doesn't know himself completely and these things always put him in sadness and despair. In the end, they both advance their hands to each other but none of them holds. They both try to forgive each other but they don't know-how.

Theme:

The poem expresses the theme of the generation gap and lack of communication between a father and son which is usually seen. The poem also highlights how the son's prospection and mindset conflict with his father as he grows.



More Links:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE SONG OF ENGINE - Christine Weatherly

Song of Engine:- Know Summary, Theme And Related Questions. We are presenting a wonderful, motivating poem written by  Christine Weatherly . In this poem, she personifies an Engine of a Train As A human. And she pictures what the train feels when she moves uphill and when she goes downhill. The writer did all this in a very beautiful rhyme, along with a wonderful message. So enjoy the poem. Poem When you travel on the railways, And the line goes up a hill, Just listen to the engine, As it pulls you with a will, Though it goes so very slowly  It sings this Little song, "I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, " And so it goes along. But later on the journey, When you're going down a hill,  The train requires no pulling,  And the engine's singing still,  If you listen very quietly,  You will hear this little song,  "I THOUGHT I COULD. I THOUGHT I COULD! "  And so it speeds along. By - Christine Weatherly Summary: In the poem, the writer personifi...

A list of famous "GHAZALS" of Ghalib

Who was Mirza Ghalib? Mirza Ghalib also known as 'Asad' was born in 1797 and died in 1869. During this course of time, Ghalib wrote in many Genre of poetry like: Ghazals, Marsiya, and Qasida and many others also. He is famous for his Ghazals on Love. It is believed that the original pen name of Mirza Ghalib was "Asad" due to the name "Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan" but as he started writing more and more poems he embraced the pen name "Ghalib".  Some Famous Ghazals of Mirza Ghalib:  दिल-ए -नादाँ तुझे हुआ क्या है  रुख़-ए-निगर से है सोज़-ए-जाविदानी-ए-शमा  गुलशन को तेरी सोहबत-अज़-बस की खुश आई  है  हम में भी तमाशाई-ए-नैरंग-ए-तमन्ना  ज़माना सख़्त कम  अज़र है बेज़ान-ए-असद  तपिश से मेरी वक़्फ़-ए-कश्मक़श हर तर-ए-बिस्तर है गुलशन में बंदोबस्त बा-रंग-ए-डिगर  है आज़  शब् की बर्क-ए-शोज़-ए-दिल से ज़हर-ए-अब्र आब था याद है शादी में भी हंगामा-ए-या-रब  मुझे  सुरमा-ए-मुफ्त-ए-नज़र हूँ मेरी क़ीमत ये है  ओहदे  मध-ए-नज़ के बहार न आ सका  हुस्न-ए-बेपरव...

When Everything Seems Against You : Read Them

  When You Are About To Quit: Read Them:- Why you are giving up? Just because you may fail. Life is like Seasons, someday springs someday rains. In the contest of Power and Patience, bet on Patience. Be Patient while Analyzing and Impatient while Executing.  You are your own Saviour. Life isn't fair, you have to fight at every instance. It was always me vs the world until I found, it's me vs me. - Kendrick Lamar Excuses are like drugs, the more you use them, the more you get addicted to them. The Risks differentiates, you will win or lose. Problems only test your Patience. Do you Care? If someone doesn't have to believe in you. It needs the courage to accept mistakes. If you care much about others, you will not be able to live happily. Feed your Hunger to Succeed with Determination. Mistakes are common, Try to learn from them. The one you were yesterday is not the one that you are today. Struggles make Success, feel like Success. Only your laziness can defeat you. Material...