Skip to main content

Birches-Robert Frost

When I see birches bend to left and right
Across the lines of straighter darker trees,
I like to think some boy's been swinging them.
But swinging doesn't bend them down to stay
As ice-storms do. Often you must have seen them
Loaded with ice a sunny winter morning
After a rain. They click upon themselves
As the breeze rises, and turn many-colored
As the stir cracks and crazes their enamel.
Soon the sun's warmth makes them shed crystal shells
Shattering and avalanching on the snow-crust—
Such heaps of broken glass to sweep away
You'd think the inner dome of heaven had fallen.
They are dragged to the withered bracken by the load,
And they seem not to break; though once they are bowed
So low for long, they never right themselves:
You may see their trunks arching in the woods
Years afterwards, trailing their leaves on the ground
Like girls on hands and knees that throw their hair
Before them over their heads to dry in the sun.
But I was going to say when Truth broke in
With all her matter-of-fact about the ice-storm
I should prefer to have some boy bend them
As he went out and in to fetch the cows—
Some boy too far from town to learn baseball,
Whose only play was what he found himself,
Summer or winter, and could play alone.
One by one he subdued his father's trees
By riding them down over and over again
Until he took the stiffness out of them,
And not one but hung limp, not one was left
For him to conquer. He learned all there was
To learn about not launching out too soon
And so not carrying the tree away
Clear to the ground. He always kept his poise
To the top branches, climbing carefully
With the same pains you use to fill a cup
Up to the brim, and even above the brim.
Then he flung outward, feet first, with a swish,
Kicking his way down through the air to the ground.
So was I once myself a swinger of birches.
And so I dream of going back to be.
It's when I'm weary of considerations,
And life is too much like a pathless wood
Where your face burns and tickles with the cobwebs
Broken across it, and one eye is weeping
From a twig's having lashed across it open.
I'd like to get away from earth awhile
And then come back to it and begin over.
May no fate willfully misunderstand me
And half grant what I wish and snatch me away
Not to return. Earth's the right place for love:
I don't know where it's likely to go better.
I'd like to go by climbing a birch tree,
And climb black branches up a snow-white trunk
Toward heaven, till the tree could bear no more,
But dipped its top and set me down again.
That would be good both going and coming back.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE SONG OF ENGINE - Christine Weatherly

Song of Engine:- Know Summary, Theme And Related Questions. We are presenting a wonderful, motivating poem written by  Christine Weatherly . In this poem, she personifies an Engine of a Train As A human. And she pictures what the train feels when she moves uphill and when she goes downhill. The writer did all this in a very beautiful rhyme, along with a wonderful message. So enjoy the poem. Poem When you travel on the railways, And the line goes up a hill, Just listen to the engine, As it pulls you with a will, Though it goes so very slowly  It sings this Little song, "I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, " And so it goes along. But later on the journey, When you're going down a hill,  The train requires no pulling,  And the engine's singing still,  If you listen very quietly,  You will hear this little song,  "I THOUGHT I COULD. I THOUGHT I COULD! "  And so it speeds along. By - Christine Weatherly Summary: In the poem, the writer personifi...

A list of famous "GHAZALS" of Ghalib

Who was Mirza Ghalib? Mirza Ghalib also known as 'Asad' was born in 1797 and died in 1869. During this course of time, Ghalib wrote in many Genre of poetry like: Ghazals, Marsiya, and Qasida and many others also. He is famous for his Ghazals on Love. It is believed that the original pen name of Mirza Ghalib was "Asad" due to the name "Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan" but as he started writing more and more poems he embraced the pen name "Ghalib".  Some Famous Ghazals of Mirza Ghalib:  दिल-ए -नादाँ तुझे हुआ क्या है  रुख़-ए-निगर से है सोज़-ए-जाविदानी-ए-शमा  गुलशन को तेरी सोहबत-अज़-बस की खुश आई  है  हम में भी तमाशाई-ए-नैरंग-ए-तमन्ना  ज़माना सख़्त कम  अज़र है बेज़ान-ए-असद  तपिश से मेरी वक़्फ़-ए-कश्मक़श हर तर-ए-बिस्तर है गुलशन में बंदोबस्त बा-रंग-ए-डिगर  है आज़  शब् की बर्क-ए-शोज़-ए-दिल से ज़हर-ए-अब्र आब था याद है शादी में भी हंगामा-ए-या-रब  मुझे  सुरमा-ए-मुफ्त-ए-नज़र हूँ मेरी क़ीमत ये है  ओहदे  मध-ए-नज़ के बहार न आ सका  हुस्न-ए-बेपरव...

When Everything Seems Against You : Read Them

  When You Are About To Quit: Read Them:- Why you are giving up? Just because you may fail. Life is like Seasons, someday springs someday rains. In the contest of Power and Patience, bet on Patience. Be Patient while Analyzing and Impatient while Executing.  You are your own Saviour. Life isn't fair, you have to fight at every instance. It was always me vs the world until I found, it's me vs me. - Kendrick Lamar Excuses are like drugs, the more you use them, the more you get addicted to them. The Risks differentiates, you will win or lose. Problems only test your Patience. Do you Care? If someone doesn't have to believe in you. It needs the courage to accept mistakes. If you care much about others, you will not be able to live happily. Feed your Hunger to Succeed with Determination. Mistakes are common, Try to learn from them. The one you were yesterday is not the one that you are today. Struggles make Success, feel like Success. Only your laziness can defeat you. Material...